The long awaited Samsung knights Wielding the Stylus, one of the most anticipated smartphones of 2020- the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series, is ﬁnally here. Samsung introduced the Note20 and Note20 Ultra on the 5th of August. The Note series has proven time and again that it is the most versatile and powerful big phone on the market for power users and stylus lovers.
The following are the features and specs of the Note 20 Ultra:
- Body: 164.8×77.2×8.1mm, 208g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus), stainless steel frame; IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins); Colors: Mystic Bronze, Mystic Black, Mystic White.
- Display: 6.90″ Dynamic AMOLED, 1440x3088px resolution, 19.3:9 aspect ratio, 496ppi; HDR10+, Always-on display, 120Hz@FHD/60Hz@QHD refresh rate.
- OS/Software: Android 10, One UI 2.1.
- Chipset: Exynos 990 (7 nm+) – Global, Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865+ (7 nm+) – USA: Octa-core (2×2.73 GHz Mongoose M5 & 2×2.50 GHz Cortex-A76 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55) Global, Octa-core (1×3.00 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585) – USA; Mali-G77 MP11 – Global, Adreno 650 – USA.
- Memory: 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM; UFS 3.1; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 108 MP, f/1.8, 26mm, 1/1.33″, 0.8µm, PDAF, Laser AF , OIS; Telephoto: 12 MP, f/3.0, 120mm periscope, 1.0µm, PDAF, OIS, 5x optical zoom, 50x hybrid zoom; Ultra wide angle: 12 MP, f/2.2, 13mm, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm; LED ﬂash, auto-HDR, panorama.
- Front camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/3.2″, 1.22µm, Dual Pixel PDAF; Dual video call, Auto-HDR.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 8K@24fps, 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/240fps, 720p@960fps, HDR10+, stereo sound rec., gyro-EIS & OIS; Front camera: 4K@30/60fps, 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 25W, USB Power Delivery 3.0, Fast Qi/PMA wireless charging, Reverse wireless charging 9W.
- Misc: Fingerprint (under display, ultrasonic), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer; NFC; FM radio (Snapdragon model only; market/operator dependent); Samsung Wireless DeX (desktop experience support), ANT+, Bixby natural language commands and dictation; Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certiﬁed); S Pen Stylus, 9ms latency (Bluetooth integration, accelerometer, gyro)
Design & Display
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and Note 20 sit atop the Galaxy lineup and as such offer premium build quality, performance and design. It’s dimensions measure 164.8×77.2×8.1mm and weighs 208g, this is a pretty large device and has some weight to it too. Samsung introduced a stainless steel frame on these two devices and did away with the aluminum. The Note 20 Ultra is the ﬁrst phone to feature Corning’s latest and toughest Gorilla Glass Victus. The Gorilla Glass Victus can survive drops of up to two meters (6.6 feet), compared to the maximum drop height of 1.6 meters for Gorilla Glass 6. It’s also twice as scratch-resistant. Both the front and back of the Note 20 Ultra are covered by Gorilla Glass Victus, while the camera on the rear is protected by Gorilla Glass 5. At the front, the Note20 Ultra has a similar face as the Note10 Plus from last year – a large rectangular slab of a phone with sharp corners and a very technical, no-nonsense look.
The display has curved edges and absolute thin bezels that seem almost nonexistent, at the top center of the display is a tiny punch-hole that houses the selﬁe camera. At the bottom is the USB-C Port ﬂanked by the bottom-ﬁring speaker and the S Pen slot on the Note 20 generation is on the left side of the phone when looking at the display. The Galaxy Note20 Ultra boats a 6.9-inch OLED display which has a 1440x3088px resolution with 496ppi density in a 19.3:9 aspect ratio. It’s branded as Dynamic AMOLED 2X, and has a refresh rate of 120Hz and is paired up with 240Hz touch sampling. The Note20 Ultra will be able to dynamically adjust the refresh rate based on the activity you’re in and the content being displayed, thus striking an optimal balance between smoothness and battery life. The display has a peak brightness of up to 1500nits which is extremely bright and helpful for outdoor visibility.
The main shooter on the Note 20 Ultra does come from the S20 Ultra. It uses the 108MP Nonacell sensor – a big 1/1.33″ imager that outputs 12MP shots by binning 9 0.8µm pixels into 1, it’s paired with a stabilized, 26mm-equivalent focal length lens that has an f/1.8 aperture. Then there’s the ultra wide-angle cam, It’s a 12MP unit with big 1.4µm pixels behind an f/2.2 aperture lens and a 120-degree ﬁeld of view. Unfortunately, there’s no autofocus on this module.
The Note 20 Ultra does not have a ToF sensor but instead Samsung has replaced it with a Laser AF to assist with nearby focusing. The selﬁe shooter is a 10MP unit with an f/2.2 aperture lens and dual pixel autofocus. The focal length is equivalent to 26mm.
Inside is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 865 Plus chipset. This chipset boosts the clock speed by 10% up to 3.1 GHz and the graphics is also 10% faster than the regular Snapdragon 865 chip. This is blended with 12GB of RAM and with either 128GB or 512GB of storage. Note that only the Note 20 Ultra supports expandable storage (upto 1TB) whilst the non-ultra version has to make do with what it has from the box. However, the Note 20 does come with a decent 128GB storage in its base 5G version and you can upgrade that to 256GB, while the LTE variant is 256GB only.
The powerplant inside the Note 20 Ultra is a 4500mAh battery, features 25W fast charging. You also get fast wireless charging and 9W wireless power share for reverse wireless charging is here, too.
The Note 20 Ultra has very little to no compromises depending on your preferences. It has a little of everything all packaged in this massive and beautiful phablet. Despite all that, there is still the issue of that steep price. Don’t get me wrong, with all that well rounded-ness it lives u to its price tag but i have to say it is not a phone that was made for everyone or anybody so some may need and use it to it’s full potential whilst others will not. So it all goes down to the consumer, nonetheless it is an incredible smartphone.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 is now available for purchase on Amazon, CLICK on the following links: